Monday, November 18, 2013

into the trees

It's deer hunting season here in Minnesota which means we haven't been out walking in the woods lately.  Since we're surrounded on three sides by hunting land, I get uneasy about letting the kids play outside, even with their blaze orange hats on.  All of this indoor time has made us all a little stir crazy.

I tried to quell some of that excess energy that was coursing through my kids yesterday by having them make some little tree ornaments for the upcoming holidays.  The older boys cut circles out of felted sweater and they all worked on stacking them for a while.  The activity held their attention in spurts but over the course of the day a small forest grew on our table.

The next job will be to sew them all together and add the trunks, something we'll work on together.

Since yesterday was the last day of rifle season we'll be able to venture back out in the woods today to be among real trees.  I can't express how much I'm looking forward to that.

***

Julie made some colorful little trees this weekend too.

Today I'm mailing off stones to their new homes.  A huge thank you to everyone who stopped by to look and to those of you that gave my pieces a home.  Thank you.

I hope your week is a good one.


3 comments:

srsaeaa@gmail.com said...

Oh, I hope you enjoy getting out into the trees again. Such beautiful, rich colors of felt! They're going to be gorgeous when they're all done.

Lisa-Marie said...

These are beautiful, and would look just as nice sitting as a little forest as they would hung (I like Julie's too!).

I am so, so glad you'll be able to go out and explore again. particularly in winter, I think outside time when it's clear is really important!

Anonymous said...

Cuties. Glad you can all venture back out! x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails